I’ve had several posts planned for the past two weeks and the only reason I haven’t posted is because of a lack of photos. To be fair, I take my photos myself and I hate doing it when people are around. And it took me ages to find a spot in my new apartment that has decent lighting. Yes, I’m full of excuses.
Things have been a tiny bit crazy around here as I’ve been getting into the groove of the new semester. I have a few terrifying assignments looming so the end of October should be interesting. My room is still not entirely put together yet, even though I moved in a month and a half ago! I finally bought foam for my window seat cushion and cut out two pieces of fabric and then just stopped. And that was two weeks ago. And I still have to fix a duvet cover, make a bedskirt, and pretty up my bulletin board. And hang all my wall art. Whoops.
I blame Pinterest for this dress. I kept seeing gorgeous collared dresses all over the place and of course I got all melty-hearted. At first I was going to use Megan Nielsen’s Banksia pattern to try to make one, but then I decided I wanted something more fitted. (Although I definitely still want to make a Banksia top. *lust*)
I made another dress with the same pattern but in gray and with a different collar, but I kind of love how this one turned out even more. I had wanted a colored linen blend fabric but they were out of everything but black and white and brown at the store, so I decided to experiment with white linen and some RIT dye.
I want to make this dress in every color. And then wear one every day of the week with different colored tights. But then I’d be that girl. Also, if anyone is wondering, I used Burda 7739. I lengthened the bodice by about an inch and a half and shortened the hem by a few inches.
I also may have started this the day before we went apple-picking because I specifically wanted to wear it to go apple-picking. Hee.
PS I have a few more new dresses to share this week! I’m super excited.
PPS And possibly a knitting project soon because I’ve started knitting again. Yay!
PPPS Sewing > schoolwork.
A while ago I saw a gorgeous Beatric Holloway dress and fell in love with the collar. The more I stared at it the more I became convinced that I could recreate it. I even took a piece of paper and started folding it various ways trying to figure it out.
Of course, when I finally did figure it out, I realized it was ridiculously simple and that I’d been thinking far too complexly.
It’s just a triangle, folded inwards and tucked under the large collar. I was under the impression that it was all one giant piece.
The main dress is this pattern from Burda.
I feel like I need a huge headband and a puppy in a basket to complete this outfit. And lacy socks.
Sorry for the brevity, it’s 95F here with 60% humidity and my brain is slowly meltinggg..
I’m off to stick my head in the freezer for a few minutes. Look for a warm-weather recipe tomorrow!
Have you ever come across a pattern you’ve seen before and suddenly needed to make it immediately whereas past you had merely thought “eh.”?
That happened to me this weekend when I rediscovered Colette’s Madeleine Mini-Bloomers. I first came across them when I found the Sorbetto pattern. At first I thought, “Cool! Free pattern!” And then I thought, “Ehhh, I’ll probably never make them.”
And then on Sunday I saw them again whilst browsing the interwebs and suddenly I had to have them. I didn’t even care what color or pattern, I just knew I wanted a pair of my very own.
Has that ever happened to you?
Well, I think I’ve jumped on the Sorbetto bandwagon!
This pattern is so simple (only two pieces!) but so customizable. I added a peter pan collar and buttons to mine, and some lace trim under the pleat. I also lowered the neckline by a few inches. It’s so girly and I love it.
I’d probably wear this with jeans and a long cardigan but I also love how it looks with a simple skirt.
PS Have I mentioned how much I love my Lottas? They’ve barely left my feet since I bought them and I’m trying reaaally hard to resist buying the red ones too!
I finished this dress a while ago (like, over a year ago!) and then never posted pictures of it. Whoops.
Walking out of the movie theatre after I saw Part 1 of the Deathly Hallows was slightly overwhelming. A chunk of my brain wanted the movie to keep going and hated that I had to wait another seven months to finish the movie, another chunk was sad that there was only one movie left. But mostly I wanted to rush home so I could google photos of Hermione’s entire wardrobe throughout the film. Particularly the lovely blazer outfit from the beginning, the dark blue asymmetrical sweater thing, the gorgeous fair isle sweater, and the red dress she wears to the wedding. (Also Ginny’s dress at the wedding and Ron’s brown sweater but that’s a different story.)
Anyway, this dress was one of the first things I made from that movie, and was essentially the product of one week’s worth of sewing ruffles. Ruffles made of chiffon.
See? Ruffles. I wasn’t kidding.
Other than the ruffles, the rest of the dress is pretty basic. I used red chiffon for the outer layer and a thicker red satin for the lining. I drafted the bodice myself and made the skirt out of four panels with a slight gather at the waistline. After that it was just a matter of looking at reference photos for ruffle placement!
On that note, it’s pretty difficult to take spinning photos of oneself. I failed miserably.
Have a nice Tuesday! :]
Edit: I’ve gotten several comments/emails about this so I thought I’d mention it again here. I didn’t use a pattern this dress, I drafted the bodice directly to my own measurements. If I ever decide to draft a pattern someday (which will not be in the foreseeable future since I have absolutely no skills in drafting patterns of other sizes), I’ll definitely make it available here.