So as you all possibly may have gleaned from the endless copycat posts, I absolutely love designing garments from things I have seen. Usually on a tv show or in a movie and immediately want to recreate it. Maybe I never grew out of playing dress-up. Who knows?
Anyway, the lovely Erin from I Heart Fabric and I will be hosting a Copycat Challenge starting next week and lasting throughout the summer, or winter depending on where you are in the world. If you haven’t already checked out the submissions from Erin’s latest Copycat Challenge, you should! People made some gorgeous stuff over there.
The rules are pretty simple.
- Choose a garment as your inspiration. Make sure you reference it and acknowledge where you found it. Pick several if you want!
- Make it the way you want with your own touch and style.
- Blog about it! Tell us what pattern(s) you used, what inspired you about the item you chose, how you styled it, whatever you want!
- If you don’t have a blog and want to participate, send us an email and we’ll add it to the submissions post for you.
Of course, to make it extra exciting, there will be a prizes drawn at the end. We will explain how we will choose the winners in an upcoming post and hopefully have a few categories. Each finished garment will count for an extra entry and be judged seperately so don’t limit yourself!
Start thinking of what you’d like to make, look around for fabric, and think of patterns you would like to use. Erin and I will be posting on our individual processes, as well as tips we find helpful as we go along.
We will run this challenge from today until the 30th September 2013 so that’s almost three months to create some unique, fun and creative stuff!
Please contact us if you’d like to participate! Or post a comment below.
These are the projects I’ve chosen. I can’t decide if I’m being overly ambitious or if I’ll finish these in a week and then twiddle my thumbs for the rest of the summer.
- I absolutely adore everything Jess wears on New Girl, but this dress is basically the most adorable thing ever.
- If I’m hosting a copycat challenge, a Dear Creatures dress for my inspiration is basically obligatory.
- Still on the fence about Clara. Still obsessed with her wardrobe. This outfit is from the 50th anniversary episode, which hasn’t actually aired yet (November 23 wheeee!), but luckily it’s available here to be closely examined.
For more inspiration please see my Pinterest board.
- Victora Beckham Slim fitting white and black dress from my Pinterest board.
- Long sleeve DVF shirt with bow again from my Pinterest board. This top looks very similar to a Vogue top I have been wanting to make!
- I found this Alannah Hill ‘The Secret Of Secrets Coat’ on pinterest which I really want to use as inspiration. Also, the BurdaStyle handbook has a really cute jacket which I have been dying to make!