Usually sewing is my thing. Usually knitting is something I do when I’m away from my sewing machine and so bored I can’t survive without making something, anything.
But then again before three weeks ago, really the only thing I knew how to do was knit, purl, and decrease. I had only a vague idea of how to cast on properly (I used to crochet a single chain and pull loops onto a knitting needle. Embarrassing, amirite?), a vague concept of something that slightly resembled k2tog, and not even the faintest clue how to add stitches. Needless to say, I mostly stuck to scarves and the occasional lumpy hat.
But somehow in the past three weeks, I’ve watched loads of online tutorials and read all kinds of diagrams, and not only can I do all of the above, but I’ve also mastered cables! (Seriously, cables were a bit of a mystical beast before.) I’m even dropping phrases like “k2tog” in a blog post, apparently I also gained quite a bit of coolness in the last three weeks.
Anyway, I place all the blame of this recent surge of inspiration on the latest Harry Potter movie. There’s no other explanation.
I’d been eyeing the new Casio Exilim for ages and finally caved and ordered it on Saturday. This morning I woke up, stumbled out of my room, and there it was waiting for me outside my door.
Anyway, the point is I can take decent pictures of costumes now. Huzzah!
This is how far I’ve gotten with the ES wedding dress. The dress itself is mostly done, other than some lace that needs to be attached and I still have to hem the top of the upper skirt attachment. All that’s left is about three and a half butt-loads of gold leafy/straw embroidery. I have the pattern scaled and printed out, I just need to figure out where it goes.
As for my Halloween costume, I’ll have to post pictures of my almost-finished Snow White costume later. Squee for successfully gusseted sleeves!
I somehow managed to get the bodice right on the first try. This literally never happens.
The headband took me about ten minutes to make. I literally just took a thick plastic headband and attacked it with thick red ribbon and a glue gun. There was minor stitching on the actual bow part though but minimal.
For the gusseted sleeves I used Aranel’s tutorial, same one I used to make my Susan Pevensie archery sleeves. I just made the holes bigger. I can’t tell you how many tutorials I read where people cut corners by just sewing on strips of red fabric, or cutting holes without finishing them. One person even described painting red ovals on. o.O
I also made a petticoat with two layers of tulle. I have two more strips cut out but it’s already so fluffy I want to try it on under the finished dress before I decide if it needs more poof.
I already can’t wait for Halloween! …..Maybe I should work on the part where I don’t have actual plans yet.